Thursday, November 8, 2007

Cowboy up!



I think its time that we Cowboy up! Yesterday I finally got a hold of a friend of mine who I have been trying to get ahold of for almost two weeks. I was nervouse because he is 59 and has congested heart failure. I met Roger probly 5 1/2 years ago when I worked at flushing township nature park. I was sweeping out the barn one evening and I was bored out of my mind when a gentleman rolled up in his four door f250 powerstroke diesel. I was in awe because I LOVE DIESEL TRUCKS. Probly want one just as bad as I want a girl friend! haha.. Its true. But as I stood in aww admiring his truck he said hello youngster, and that is how are friendship started. From then out he would make sure he would come to the park when I was working to take his walk. It wasnt for about two months after I met him and have been walking with him that I found out he had his heart condition. I didnt really know how to respond to him telling me so it was just alot of mhms and yups if ya know what I mean. Well, after 5 years of hanging out with someone you become pretty good friends, Well Rodger is more than just a friend he is like a grandpa to me. Always checks in to see how I am doing. Makes sure I have a job and I am doing ok financially, always offering me money to come a do work around his house for him. I would rather spend time with him for free and help him around his house and just know that there is people out there who care and just show him the love of christ the best I can. He loves talking about "religouse" things. So that is how I know him. Well Like I said I have been trying to get a hold of him for about two weeks and I couldnt, I stopped by his house probly about a half dozen times his truck hadnt moved his other car hadnt moved and his wifes car was gone. I called his cell phone atleast 4 times a day hoping he would answer. Never did!. Well atleast till yesterday, I told myself I would try his cell one last time befor I started calling hospitals.. It rang which I knew he would answer cause all the other times it went to voice mail. He answered and I was so excited to hear his voice but not recieve the news he was going to tell me. Two weeks ago roger had a stroke at his house, which he refused to go to the hospital that night after piecking himself off the ground five times from his legs giving out. His wife gave him no choice and drug him to the hospital the next morning where as soon as he got there he didnt see day light for atleast 28 hours. He went directly into surgery where he had 5 bipasses done on his heart, two stints put in and about every vein the could harvest to complete this. He pulled through all right but he still has some complications. He has a clot in his heart that there having trouble disolving. and his right leg is probly the size of a large watermelon. I decided to skip class and go see him. I never thought I could make someone so happy just by caring. It really blessed my heart to know that just by showing a little interest in someone that it can bring a lot of joy into someones life. He may be 59 and I may only be 21 but I really found out how important people are to me. Serving people is so much more rewarding than serving yourself. That is the way God planned it out to be but since sin has taken its toll we are so selfish and self centered. I realized how selfish I was when I left the hospital and cried a little on the way home about how we take life for granted. We only have once life to live and one chance to make a diffrence in someones life. I think its time we Cowboy up and really pursue the Rodgers in our life and put all selfish ambishions aside! This is my challenge to you. Grab the reins and ride with me or get your butt out of the saddle! Cause the chase is on!

Loving the madness.

-BS

3 comments:

Journey Ministry said...

bout tme you put on the spurs! Ler's ride ...were burnin daylight and eternity is just around the corner!

amanda said...

Wow! I am glad you were able to reach Roger and that your friendship is such a blessing to you (and him). Thanks for sharing, you are right about pursuing those friendships that God places in our paths...

I got a little teary reading about you getting a little teary...excited about the plans God has for you; I am sure the girlfriend is right around the corner (maybe not literally, because a lot of "older" women live on your street...)

amanda said...

I like the content, but the picture at the top is a little distracting. Brad